Saturday, January 7, 2012

Believe in me as I believe in you...

During the time when music started to become an integral part of my life, I began to realize that the artists, songs, and records that I gravitated toward all seemed to have something in common.  As diverse as my musical tastes may have appeared, there was something specific that I was always looking for.  I guess the reason that I never really got into a lot of bubblegum pop music is that it just seemed so easy.  I never felt like there was nearly enough emotion going into it.  When I look back at the songs that really shaped my teenage years and set me on my musical path, I think about songs like Rain King, Everlong, and Semi-Charmed Life.  As dissimilar in mood as they might sound at first listen (some more accessible to the general public than others), those songs all shared an intensity that became my standard for judging whether or not I liked a piece of music.  I think the last song I mentioned said it best for me - "The four right chords can make me cry."

When I was old enough (and had the means) to go to concerts more frequently I always found myself enjoying most those shows where a lead singer would get so absorbed in the music, so consumed by the moment, that he would almost appear uncomfortable delivering the lyrics.  There's something very beautiful about the honesty in those songwriters and musicians who will bare so much of their souls for the sake of reaching an audience.  I've seen self-indulgent performers before, and there's definitely a difference.  I'll gladly go to a show where the frontman isn't afraid to show vulnerability, passion, and maybe a little instability.  In fact, my favorite concerts are those where the lead singer appears completely unhinged and only held together by the band itself.  That's what music is for me.  It's pure and it's raw and it's real.

The problem with trying to emulate musicians like that while performing in a small town setting is that folks don't necessarily want to see you bleed (figuratively, of course) all over the tiny stage in the corner of the restaurant where they're trying to enjoy their dinner.  I can totally understand and appreciate that, so it's limited our choices as to where we can perform.  But I do feel that my vision for my music isn't one that I can compromise.  I really enjoy going out for a nice meal while someone is playing fun and chill music on the other side of the room.  And there are times that I wish I was that kind of artist.  Sadly, I just don't know that it's in me.  I try to play these nice and relaxed venues, but when I go relaxed I inevitably also go soft and melancholy.  It's nice sometimes, but I'm trying not to make a habit of it.  I'm just a little more comfortable being allowed to go a bit crazy.  Fortunately, we're blessed to have found a growing group of fans who prefer to connect with that.

We've got a lot of shows coming up at new and old favorite venues.  Some of them are going to be louder and crazier than others but it's my goal in 2012 to never compromise on the intensity.  So that's my current theme.  In the next few posts I'll try to give some recommendations on some of my more recent favorite albums that I think really inspire me in that respect.  Hope everyone's year is getting off to a great start, and we'll see you at some shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment